Welcome to

Thursday, July 26, 2007

A new fad or Trend?

So yesterday I reflected on fads and trends in today's society. Now you are probably wondering what would make me think about that... Well, I was surfing the Internet and researching GPS systems.

As most of you know, my car has been grounded due to the fact that the tag hasn't been transferred yet - so being the good law abiding citizen that I am - I am not driving my brand new car!!Yep it is parked and has been for A WEEK NOW!! (Ok so the truth is - the way my luck has been going lately I am afraid I would end up in jail if I did drive it! It would be just my luck that I got pulled over, no valid tag - yep looks like a ride in the patty wagon to me!!!) So needless to say, I don't need a GPS system quite yet - but you know it is always great to do your homework and your research~ Right?!?!

While I was researching GPS I came across a "new" activity called Geocaching.... Now have any of you ever heard of Geocaching or better yetare any of you into Geocaching???

For those that have never heard of this before, or maybe you have heard of it but don't really know what it is..... this is what encyclopedia Wikipedia had to say:

"Geocaching is an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets of little monetary value. Today, well over 430,000 geocaches are registered on various websites devoted to the sport."

In other words, it is like a modern day hide and seek or treasure hunt! Awesome huh?! So the more I looked up and research the more I found out about geocashing (and there is a lot to find out believe it or not). Like did you know that some caches have "travel bugs" in them!!! Travel bugs are these dog tag looking items that actually have a tracking number on them - so if you find a cache that has a "travel bug" you log your number into a website and you can track everywhere the bug as traveled!!!! Pretty neat!!!

Well it got me to thinking that if there are over 430,000 REGISTERED geocaches, well certainly some of those treasure hunters had to be scrapbookers or at least married to a scrapbooker - right?!?!

So here is a peek at my two newest files that will be available soon at Paperthreads!







If you have a GPS system, a computer, and a urge to hunt for treasure - maybe you should be GEOCACHING! (Or if you are wanting to get a GPS system for your car... maybe you too can use this as a selling point to your hubby about why you need it!!!)

Until next time.

Cya~
Lori

3 comments:

Vickie ~ WhimseyDimples July 27, 2007 at 12:38 AM  

LOL - Great minds think alike - guess what I blogged about today - Geocaching! I did a layout of our "First Find".

We're relatively new to it, we've only located about 12. Some in our hometown, and some while on vacation.

It is a fun activity the whole family can participate in - a lot of grandparents take their grandkids - it spans the generations!

Anonymous,  July 27, 2007 at 1:51 AM  

I WILL be purchasing your Geocache set. I am so excited. Yes, my husband is a geocacher. It is a great activity that he likes to do with the kids. When ever we travel, he looks up local caches and it is so much fun to go on a treasure hunt for them. He even sent off a bug and has been watching where it goes for over a year. He even helped a friend set up a multiple cache to propose to his girl friend. So thank you for this wonderful file and all of the fabulous files you have created.
Lynn

Lori McDonald July 27, 2007 at 8:32 AM  

Cool guys!! I find this very interesting... my hubby bought me a metal detector for Valentine's day this past year - and it was has been fun just seeing what we can find!!!

I am glad I happened upon this activity - might have to check it out once I get that GPS!!! LOL

Thanks for the GREAT feedback!!
God Bless~
Lori

Blog Widget by LinkWithin