Welcome to

Thursday, February 21, 2008

God is GREAT… even when it comes to scrapbooking!

I just want to say upfront that I am not trying to “convert” anyone to Christianity. I am not trying to press my beliefs on anyone, nor am I knocking anyone’s beliefs that are not the same as my own… I just wanted to share a story with you about how I am so grateful that I have a God that watches out over me, directs me and guides me even when I have no clue which way to go!

Back a few months ago I got an email from my very dear friend Jamie who is also the owner of our local scrapbooking store (LSS). Jamie had decided that after five years of running Savannah Scrapbooking that she was ready to move on with other things in her life and she was (gasp) selling the store! Was I interested?!?!?

Hubby and I talked at GREAT GREAT GREAT lengths about this – and I have to tell you I am soooo blessed to have a wonderful husband that understands that scrapbooking is my passion. He was totally behind me 110% - if I wanted to buy the store – then we would buy it!!! He was behind me – what EVER I decided I wanted to do!

I have to tell you I LOVE THAT STORE! It is probably one of the best scrapbooking stores I have ever been to (and let me tell you – I have been in scrapbooking stores from GA to CA!) – and I am not just saying that! Jamie has done a great job with the store in it new location.

Anyway – I went back and forth – almost daily on this decision (for almost two months)! First, I didn’t want to see the store close! It is the only scrapbooking store in town. Now we do have a “Michaels” and an “AC Moores” but Savannah scrapbooking was the only true scrapbooking store in town.

Second – I have to admit – was the challenge! Could I run a scrapbooking store? Could I make it a success? Could I infuse my own flair and would people love to come hang out and of course spend money there? I had ton of new fresh idea’s – could I make them work?!?! Oh the CHALLENGE!

I requested the profit and loss statements from my friend Jamie and hubby and I poured over them! For hours and hours we talked about it… I seeked wise counsel from my family and my friends…. And I prayed. I prayed a lot asking God to direct me and guide me. To please help me make the right decision.

Well… the bottom line is - I decided I just didn’t want to be tied down to something 24 hours, 7 days a week! For the first time ever I was having health problems. Two surgeries back to back – what would have happened if I had a store and I was sick??? Hubby is home for the first time ever in our marriage – which is great but he is scheduled to deploy again in 2009. Thus, I really feel the need to spend as much time with him as I can between now and then. Life is short we all know this….

And let’s be honest – you can hire great people to work for you but no one is going to care as much about a business as you do. If someone calls in sick, if they have a family emergency or what ever – you are the one responsible. It is your baby! It belongs to you 24/7 – and hey I don’t have kids for a reason – you know what I mean?!?! Bahahaha….

So last month – I told hubby it was a no go. I didn’t want to do it. I stopped talking about. I stopped praying about it – but I have to be honest I didn’t stop thinking about it. I didn’t let the idea go… I was still wondering “What if?” Did I just pass up the best thing ever? Did I make the WRONG decision?

And then…

Yesterday I went to visit Jamie at the LSS. She hasn’t found a buyer for the store and it will be closing soon (If you are in driving distance - come on UP - everything is 30% and she is selling everything – including all the paper racks – check out her blog she has photos and prices!!).

While I was there – I told her how stressed I was about the store. How I had really gone back and forth and back and forth with the decision and I still wasn’t sure I had made the right one…. And then she informed me that someone else was opening a NEW Scrapbooking Store less than 2 miles up the road from this store!!!!

Yep- a new store was coming to town! Now let me tell you Savannah just isn’t big enough to support two scrapbooking stores!! Not with the two chain retail craft stores in town too!!! And this new store coming to town had NO IDEA that Jamie had planned to sale/close Savannah Scrapbooking!!! They had just decided to open up another scrapbooking store in town – and open it up right down the road!!!

It was such a HUGE relief to talk to Jamie and realize that God had directed me and guided me yet once again! He did answer my prayers and he then showed me that he did it! He was behind me the WHOLE time!!! I mean could you imagine buying a scrapbooking store – and THEN finding out that there is another store opening less than two miles away from you?!?!?! And now both LSS are having to compete with the two large chain store as well?!?!

Whew!!!! God is GREAT! I now feel so relieved in my decision not to purchase the store – and hey Savannah is still going to have a Scrapbooking store! As a one of my friends loves to say – it’s all good!

Unti Next Time!

Cya~
Lori

PS - Don't forget - tomorrow is the Scrapbooking Challange Announcement!

5 comments:

Anonymous,  February 21, 2008 at 10:43 AM  

Yes it is all part of a greater picture and usually works out just fine despite our meddling with it all. :) Can't wait to see what you post for tomorrow. Have a wonderful day!

Anonymous,  February 21, 2008 at 2:10 PM  

Sometimes I wonder why things turn out as they do, but if I wait a bit, I can usually see His Hand guiding my life. As far as I am concerned, there is no better way to live than to Let Go and Let God!
Blessings,
Deb

TammyB February 21, 2008 at 2:59 PM  

Oh my goodness - that story give me chills! GOD is good =)

Oh, before I forget, thanks for stopping by my blog the other day and leaving a comment =)

weismam1956 February 21, 2008 at 6:33 PM  

I was just let go from my part-time job because I have a severely broken arm that is not healing quickly and I have to tell you that your story is uplifting to me. I need to use your attitude and see my job loss as a way to find something better. God is opening a door for me not closing it! Thanks for your story

Lori McDonald February 21, 2008 at 6:52 PM  

I am sooo sorry to hear about the lose of your job! Keep praying and put your trust in the Lord - he will provide!!

Hoping the best for you!

Lori

Blog Widget by LinkWithin